The Civil Society Financing for Development (CS FfD) Mechanism including the Women’s Working Group of Financing for Development (WWG on FfD) are at the 7th Retreat of the Friends of Monterrey (FoM) on March 9 and 10, 2023 in Mexico City.
The Financing for Development process is centered on supporting the follow-up to the agreements and commitments reached during the three major international conferences on FfD – 2002 in Monterrey, Mexico, in 2008 in in Doha, Qatar and in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia in 2015. Governments of Germany, Mexico and Switzerland founded the Retreat of the Group of FoM.
It offers an informal space for dialogue to advance substantive topics without constituting a negotiating environment. This dialogue encourages and facilitates ambitious consensus towards the ECOSOC FfD Forum and its outcome document. All discussions will be held in English and under Chatham House Rules.
The Retreat has the following main objectives:
- Identify actions to implement the AAAA and discuss means to renovate the mandate of the FfD process.
- Discuss and carry out an in-depth analysis of the 2023 draft FSDR results and recommendations alongside innovative mechanisms for their implementation and achievement in preparation of the FfD Forum.
- Highlighting challenges, gaps, achievements and opportunities, ensuring the implementation of its commitments in the build-up and strengthening of the ECOSOC FfD Forum.
- Analyse and reflect on emerging issues such as the impact of digital technologies, climate financing and sustainable investing.
- Foster interlinkages and strengthen coherence for sustainable development between global agendas including the AAAA, the Paris Agreement a the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and its 17 SDGs; in the lead up to the 2023 ECOSOC FfD Forum and the 2023 High- Level Political Forum for Sustainable Development (HLPF).
- Encourage informal and multi-stakeholder engagement around latest trends and key issues in the mobilization of FfD flows through open, non-negotiated interactions and dialogue.
- Discuss experience at country and sector level in order to promote peer learning to strengthen the sharing of best practices between countries, towards the implementation of the Addis Agenda.